Saturday, April 7, 2012

Review: Lady Killer by Lisa Scottoline

Lady Killer
Author: Lisa Scottoline
Published: February 1, 2008
Genre: thriller
Hardcover: 355 pages
Source: borrowed from the library


My Rating: 2.5 stars


Synopsis (from GoodReads): Mary DiNunzio is a trademark Lisa Scottoline heroine--she's strong, she's smart, and she's got plenty of attitude. In recent years, she's become a big-time business-getter at Rosato & Associates, but the last person she expects to walk into her office one morning--in mile-high stilettos--is super sexy Trish Gambone, her high school rival. Back then, while Mary was becoming the straight-A president of the Latin Club and Most Likely to Achieve Sainthood, Trish was the head Mean Girl, who flunked religion and excelled at smoking in the bathroom. As it turns out, however, Trish's life has taken a horrifying turn. She's terrified of her live-in boyfriend, who's an abusive, gun-toting drug dealer for the South Philly mob. There's only one problem--Mary remembers the guy from high school too. Unbeknownst to Trish, Mary had a major crush on him. Then Trish vanishes, a dead body turns up in an alley, and Mary is plunged into a nightmare, one that threatens her job, her family, and even her life. She goes on a one-woman crusade to unmask the killer, and on the way, finds new love in a very unexpected place. But before the novel's shocking surprise ending, Mary is forced to confront some very uncomfortable truths about her own past, and the profound effects of lifelong love--and hate.

My Thoughts: I have read two other books by Lisa Scottoline and really enjoyed them, so I picked up Lady Killer, thinking that I would like it. Unfortunately, this one wasn't as good as the other two, but not anawful book. For me, I just didn't feel the pull from the characters that I had in the other books. I thought that Mary was a great character and very strong, but everyone around her just seemed to blend into the background. I also thought the plot could have been a bit stronger. It wasn't a great as her other novels, but wasn't so bad that I wanted to stop reading. I know I will continue to look for Scottoline books when I'm at the library, but this wasn't my favorite work of hers.

No comments:

Post a Comment