Monday, August 6, 2012

Review: Silver Girl by Elin Hilderbrand

Silver Girl
Author: Elin Hilderbrand
Published: June 21, 2011
Genre: chick lit 
Hardcover: 416 pages
Source: borrowed from the library


My Rating: 3.5 stars


Synopsis (from GoodReads): Meredith Martin Delinn just lost everything: her friends, her homes, her social standing - because her husband Freddy cheated rich investors out of billions of dollars.

Desperate and facing homelessness, Meredith receives a call from her old best friend, Constance Flute. Connie's had recent worries of her own, and the two depart for a summer on Nantucket in an attempt to heal. But the island can't offer complete escape, and they're plagued by new and old troubles alike. When Connie's brother Toby - Meredith's high school boyfriend - arrives, Meredith must reconcile the differences between the life she is leading and the life she could have had. 

My Thoughts: When looking for a classic summer read, I always think of Elin Hilderbrand first. Her books are set on Nantucket during the summer and show how life is on the island. This time around, her novel mirrors life (in a way). It's easy to tell that the premise for this novel started with the Bernie Madoff Ponzi scheme that happened a few years ago. The Ponzi scheme is featured here and is what leads to Meredith Delinn losing everything in her life: her money, her homes, her family. Now, I don't know what Bernie Madoff's wife did while the trial was going on and whatnot. But this novel gives us a glimpse into what she might have been experiencing emotionally. Meredith had no knowledge of her husband's crimes. She did whatever he asked her to do, and it had worked out amazingly well for her. They lived in a Park Avenue penthouse, had a home in Palm Beach, and had billions of dollars. When her world collapses, Meredith realizes that she has lost who she is.

The characters in this novel were great. I loved Meredith and thought that she was so real. Once again, I don't know what Bernie Madoff's wife experienced as backlash once his Ponzi scheme was brought down, but I'm sure some of her emotions are exactly what Meredith experienced. I loved Dan and found him to be a great foil for the women, even though he had difficulties of his own. Connie was a bit confusing for me. There were times when I really liked her narration, and other times where I just found her annoying. I think she might have been my biggest issue with this novel. Like wanting Meredith to go into town, I just wanted to reach through the page and slap her (have you ever felt like doing this to a character?) She just seemed clueless at times.

If you are looking for a beach read this summer, then I highly recommend this novel. It's partly based on true events, but with Nantucket as the backdrop, you are sure to get swept up in the story and enjoy every moment of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment