Monday, December 31, 2012

Audiobook Review: Hannah's List by Debbie Macomber

Hannah's List
Author: Debbie Macomber
Narrator: Fred Stella
Published: April 27, 2010
Genre: chick lit
Audiobook: approximately 10 hours
Source: borrowed from the library

My Rating: 3 stars

Synopsis (from GoodReads): On the anniversary of his beloved wife's death, Dr. Michael Everett receives a letter Hannah had written him. In it she reminds him of her love and makes one final request. An impossible request ? I want you to marry again. She tells him he shouldn't spend the years he has left grieving her. And to that end she's chosen three women she asks him to consider. First on Hannah's list is her cousin, Winter Adams, a trained chef who owns a caf? on Seattle's Blossom Street. The second is Leanne Lancaster, Hannah's oncology nurse. Michael knows them both. But the third name is one he's not familiar with ? Macy Roth. Each of these three women has her own heartache, her own private grief. More than a year earlier, Winter broke off her relationship with another chef. Leanne is divorced from a man who defrauded the hospital for which she works. And Macy lacks family of her own, the family she craves, but she's a rescuer of strays, human and animal. Macy is energetic, artistic, eccentric ? and couldn't be more different from Michael. During the months that follow, he spends time with Winter, Leanne and Macy, learning more about each of them?and about himself. Learning what Hannah already knew. He's a man who needs the completeness only love can offer. And Hannah's list leads him to the woman who can help him find it.

My Thoughts: This was my first Debbie Macomber novel and I enjoyed it quite a bit. I listened to the story instead of reading the actual book, which was an enjoyable experience. The story was light enough that it didn't require too much thought while I was driving (those are my favorite audiobooks: the light ones that make it easy to listen to and easy to walk away from when it's time to get out of my car). The plot is pretty explanatory in the synopsis and there weren't any surprises. I already knew who Michael would choose just a few chapters into the book. However, I did like how Macomber stuck with the other two women, Leanne and Winter, throughout the rest of the novel. She didn't just dump them once it was clear who Michael would end up with.

Now, the worst part of this book for me was the woman who he ended up with, Macy. She was so annoying! She just came across as an unrealistic person, someone who wouldn't exist out in the real world. She was just too flaky to be an adult who lived on her own, someone who was just too sweet. She really got on my nerves and I might have liked this book even more if she was not so unbelievable. I will listen to more of Macomber's books in the future but hope that there aren't more characters like Macy in them.

No comments:

Post a Comment