Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Top Ten Tuesday (12-11-12)


Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly feature hosted by The Broke and The Bookish. Each week, 
they post a different topic, and you get to create your own top ten list. So, this week's 
topic is:

Favorite New-to-Me Authors in 2012

1) Jacqueline Winspear (the Maisie Dobbs series) - I fell in love with this series early in the spring and have been addicted ever since! I've managed to read every book in the series (but one), and am eagerly anticipating the newest book in 2013!

2) Nora Roberts - I know, I know, she's been around for years and I'm just reading her work now. However, I'm really enjoying it (especially in audiobook form), and cannot wait to read more of her books in 2013.

3) Jen Lancaster - I read my first Jen Lancaster book around New Year's last year and have been laughing ever since. She has a new work of fiction coming out in at the end of January, which I'm already waiting on!

4) Catherine McKenzie - I stumbled upon McKenzie's first novel back in the spring and have been addicted ever since. I have managed to read all three of her novels and I cannot wait to see what she writes in the future. If you haven't read her works (or even heard about her), I encourage you to learn more! She's a great chick lit writer and someone who I think has the potential to be around for a long time.

5) Adriana Trigiani - I have fallen in love with this author over the course of 2012. Her writing style just grabs you and pulls you in, and she leaves you rooting for her leading ladies. So glad I discovered her this year!

6) Penny Vincenzi - I read one of her books this year and absolutely loved it. The characters, the setting, the plot ... it all made for one great story. One of my reading resolutions for 2013 is to read at least two of her books.

7) Maggie Shipstead - Shipstead published her first novel this year, and what a masterpiece it was. Such a great work of literature from someone so young makes me anxious to see what she will write in the future. She was new to everyone in 2012, but I don't think this is the last we will see from her.

8) Bob Spitz - after reading his comprehensive biography of Julia Childs', I am wanting to read more of his work. The book was so thoroughly researched that I would like to see what he does with other subjects.

9) Chad Harbach - another first time author who wrote a beautiful novel. This was Harbach's first foray into fiction, and it was such a great read. It was so moving that I couldn't start on another book for a few days, I just had to let his words sink in. If you haven't read his premier book ... what are you waiting for?!?

10) Mary Kay Andrews - if you know me, that you know that I'm a huge fan of chick lit, and I discovered one of the bests this year. Andrews' work is so light and fun that it's hard not to enjoy.

It was hard to only choose 10, but I think that's a pretty good list! I'm excited to see who everyone else listed and I'm looking forward to reading more new-to-me authors in 2013!

5 comments:

  1. Yours is one of the more diverse lists I've seen today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Jen Lancaster! She is hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jen Lancaster, Penny Vincenzi, and Adriani Trigiani are some of my favorite authors too. So glad you've discovered them now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really enjoyed Maggie Shipstead's book too! Lots of good stuff on your list!

    Lisa
    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't read Nora Roberts anymore, but I discovered her maybe freshman year of high school and I thought I was so adult, haha.

    ReplyDelete