Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Top Ten Tuesday (10-16-12)


Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly feature hosted by The Broke and The Bookish. Each week, 
they post a different topic, and you get to create your own top ten list. So, this week's 
topic is:


Favorite Authors in Contemporary Fiction

1) Kristin Hannah - I love her books! She is able to take everyday things (friendship, love, loss, heartache, growing pains) and write about them in a way that is so relatable to anyone reading! I have yet to find anybody else with her writing ability.

2) J. Courtney Sullivan - I loved Sullivan's first book, Commenement, because I find it incredibly difficult to find books written about women in their early to mid-20s, let alone someone as gifted and talented as Sullivan.

3) David Nicholls - I have only read One Day, but I loved it and have another one of his books in my TBR pile. There was something about this book that just pulled me in and wouldn't let go. It truly showcases what an amazing storyteller Nicholls is.

4) Jennifer Haigh - I have read two of her books and have fallen head over heels in love with Haigh. She taps into the human experience so perfectly, you almost wonder if she lived some of these experiences. If you haven't read her works, go get one. You will not be disappointed.

5) Wally Lamb - I feel like so few people have heard of Lamb, which is a shame because he is an amazing writer. His novels are quite hefty, but well worth the read (and possible carpal tunnel you get from holding it).

6) Anita Shreve - Shreve is a big hit or miss for me. Sometimes, her books are just such a chore to get through. But other are so amazing, I find myself reading slower so that I won't have to let it end.

7) Laura Harrington - while she may only have one book to her name, what a powerful book it is. Dealing with a teenage girl and the loss of her father while serving his country in Iraq, Harrington nails it in term of emotions and the struggle that all teenage girls face.

8) Chad Harbach - another author who only has one book to their name but one of the best books I have ever read. 

9) Liane Moriarty - she has written several books but I've only managed to read one of them. Her ability to build anticipation and have you rooting for every character in the book, whether good or bad, was just amazing to read and experience.

10) Elin Hilderbrand - while her books are definitely beach reads, they resonate in some way with everyone. They also cover such a wide array of characters that each book is clearly different and not something just is just "for the beach."

Definitely a fun list to make! So, what genre did you choose? Let me know!

4 comments:

  1. KristinH is my favourite also. I have only read Testimony by AnitaS, loved it, defiitely want to read more.

    Have you tried Lisa Genova, I highly recommend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still need to read One Day! I bought it last year, determined to read it yet I just haven't gotten round to it which sucks haha! I have an Elin Hilderbrand book on my tbr, I've heard great things about her works.

    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also Love Wally Lamb and Kristin Hannah... and Elin Hilderbrands books look cool too :)

    Here's My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is one author I know and I've read one book from her, Kristin Hannah. Wasn't really my thing. I'm going to check out the other names :)

    TTT fairytales authors @thedailyprophecy.

    ReplyDelete