Monday, March 4, 2013

Audiobook Review: Vision in White by Nora Roberts

Vision in White (Bride Quartet #1)
Author: Nora Roberts
Narrator: Emily Durante
Published: April 28, 2009
Genre: chick lit
Audiobook: 8 discs (approx. 8.75 hours)
Source: borrowed from the library

My Rating: 3 stars

Synopsis (from GoodReads): Wedding photographer Mackensie "Mac" Elliot is most at home behind the camera, but her focus is shattered moments before an important wedding rehearsal when she bumps into the bride-to-be's brother...an encounter that has them both seeing stars.

A stable, safe English teacher, Carter Maguire is definitely not Mac's type. But a casual fling might be just what she needs to take her mind off bridezillas. Of course, casual flings can turn into something more when you least expect it. And Mac will have to turn to her three best friends-and business partners-to see her way to her own happy ending.

My Thoughts: Nora Roberts is pretty much my go to for audiobooks now. They are easy to listen to, nice for my commute to and from work. It's not too heavy on plot, so if I happen to forget something while I'm at work during a stressful day, when I get back inmy car to start listening again, it isn't too hard to pick up where I left on. And this book is just another perfect example of how easy her books are to listen to. Focusing on four friends who run their own wedding/events business, Roberts tells a story of four young women who are surrounded by love everyday, but haven't found it in their own lives.

This is a quartet of books, so each one focuses on one of the girls. This one was all about Mac, the photographer who has never been in love before. She meets Carter, a boy she went to school with, and sparks fly. It's a pretty basic chick lit plot, nothing that's really surprising. The characters are real (Mac swears quite a bit, so she's not all perfect). I love the setting that Roberts has placed them in, a gorgeous old estate that they have transformed into an event site for hundreds of events throughout the year. Roberts is great with female friendships, which you can see in this novel. I do wish we had a little more interaction with the other girls, but there are four books in this series, so I guess there's enough time to squeeze all those interactions in.

This book might have been better for me if a different narrator was chosen. Emily Durante has a speech impediment, which is quite apparent at times. I would become so distracted by her talking that I wasn't listening to the words that she was saying. I do wish that they had chosen someone else to narrate this book, because it was distracting at times for me to have to listen to. Other than that, it was a nice book to listen to and I'm already onto the next one in this series!

No comments:

Post a Comment