Monday, June 11, 2012

Review: Turn of Mind by Alice LaPlante

Turn of Mind
Author: Alice LaPlante
Published: July 5, 2011
Genre: thriller
Hardcover: 307 pages
Source: borrowed from the library


My Rating: 3.5 stars


Synopsis (from BN.com): Is the perfect murder the one you can't forget or the one you can't remember? Dr. Jennifer White, a brilliant former surgeon in the early grips of Alzheimer's, is suspected of murdering her best friend, Amanda. Amanda's body was found brutally disfigured — with four of her fingers cut off in a precise, surgical manner. As the police pursue their investigation and Jennifer searches her own mind for fractured clues to Amanda's death, a portrait emerges of a complex relationship between two uncompromising, unsentimental women, lifelong friends who were at times each other's most formidable adversaries.


My Thoughts: When I read the synopsis for this book, I was a bit confused on how to it would play out on the page, so of course, I just went ahead and borrowed it. And to be honest, I'm not quite sure how to describe this book. Dr. Jennifer White is your narrator, a former orthopedic surgeon who had to retire early once she was diagnosed with dementia. Since the narrator has dementia, it's not always an easy story to follow and it takes a lot of effort on the reader's part to make sure they know what is going on. But instead of being lost in some woman's man (which is what I expected), Alice LaPlante pulls you into this woman's head and you are able to understand her disease and how difficult it is for her.


I have never read a book like this before and I'm not sure that I will ever read something like this again. It was such a unique point of view for a narrator! LaPlante makes you realize how awful this disease is and how to can distroy a person's mind. Add this into the plot of a murder mystery, and you have a very interesting story. As I said before, you have to really be on top of it while reading this book because if you zone out for a few pages, you may miss something important to the mystery. I thought that the ending was unexpected and really enjoyed the twist in the story. If you are looking to try something outside your comfort zone, I would recommend this book to you. It's different from anthing else that you've ever read and something that you will find hard to put down.

No comments:

Post a Comment