Monday, June 18, 2012

Audiobook Review: The Best of Friends by Susan Mallery

The Best of Friends
Author: Susan Mallery
Published: September 28, 2010
Genre: chick lit
Audiobook: 8 CDs
Source: borrowed from the library


My Rating: 2 stars


Synopsis (from GoodReads): In high school, studious Jayne Scott and wild child Rebecca Worden became unlikely best friends---a tie that endured even after Rebecca fled her family to live overseas. After Jayne's mother passed away, she became part unpaid assistant, part surrogate daughter to the wealthy Wordens. But now, ten years later, Rebecca is coming home to L.A. to cause havoc for Elizabeth, the mother who all but rejected "her". And Jayne finds herself pulled deeper into the Wordens' complicated family dynamics---especially when Rebecca's brother, David, returns as well.David is the man Jayne always wanted and knew she could never have. But when he gravitates toward her in spite of Elizabeth's protests, her vow to escape the family's shadow is put to the ultimate test. And as lies are shattered and true feelings exposed, Jayne must decide where loyalty ends, and love begins . . . 


My Thoughts: Now, if you have been on my blog for the past few months, you know that my favorite audiobooks are the ones by Sophie Kinsella. However, I realize that there are a finite amount of those books available (please, write faster, Sophie!), so I like to branch out and try new authors. I have a Susan Mallery book waiting for me in my TBR pile, but figured, "Why not try her out as an audiobook?" Let me just say that I was hugely disappointed. I think this may be a case of the real book does not transfer well to being an audiobook. There were some jumps in time that weren't explained, but you wondered how you jumped ahead so quickly (I think that would have been more easily understood on the page.) I also felt like all the characters were one dimensional. Jayne, the main character, basically has no personality. Her best friend, Rebecca, is whiny and annoying. Same with her mother, Elizabeth. The father doesn't care, and David, Rebecca's brother and Janye's new boyfriend, just keeps on professing his love for her and how badly he wants to marry her, even though they have only been dating for two months (I hope I'm not alone in saying that this guy, in the real world, would be labeled as a creep).


For the most part, the plot was weak. There were moments when I was like, "Finally, this book is turning around and will finally pull me in." Nope, Mallery just went back to having Rebecca act like an awful human being and her mother being nosy. I will try Mallery on the printed page, but I will never check out one of her audiobooks again.

No comments:

Post a Comment