Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Top Ten Tuesday (1-24-12)


Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly feature hosted by The Broke and The Bookish. Each week, 
they post a different topic, and you get to create your own top ten list. This week is a freebie, meaning that I can create my own topic or choose an old one. Since I'm not too creative or original, I decided that I would choose a topic that was previously listed but that I didn't participate it. So, this week's topic:

Favorite Book Characters

1) Scout Finch (To Kill a Mockingbird) - I don't know if it's possible to pinpoint what a great character Scout is, so I won't even try to. I do know that experiencing what is happening around her provides for one of the greatest novels ever written.

2) Jane Eyre (Jane Eyre) - bucking every norm for a female character that was written before this book, Charlotte Bronte created one of the most iconic leading ladies ever written. I loved Jane's determination in everything that she did. She was truly ahead of her time.

3) Hermione Granger (Harry Potter series) - I could make a list of my favorite Harry Potter characters, but will only highlight Hermione on this list. She is an example for girls everywhere that it isn't about beauty and looks and that you can be smart, intelligent, and courageous, and still be an amazing person.

4) Mr. Darcy (Pride and Prejudice) - what girl hasn't read this book and fallen in love with Mr. Darcy? For centuries, women have been swooning over this brooding, handsome gentleman. Kudos to Jane Austen for creating such a man who has women from different time periods falling in love with this man.

5) Aibileen Clark (The Help) - such a strong woman. Everytime one of her chapters came up in the book, I became so excited because she told what was happening around her with such clarity, it was almost as if I was there.

6) Andrea Sachs (The Devil Wears Prada) - one of my favorite chick lit books with a great main character, Andrea tells her story with hilarity and wit. Her background provides her with the best vantage point to witness the absurdity that is a fashion magazine.

7) Lisbeth Salander (The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo) - such a badass character! Honestly, I was sucked into these novels because of Lisbeth and trying to figure out what she would do next. 

8) Robert Langdon (The DaVinci Code) - some of you may roll your eyes at this choice, but there's a reason why people are drawn to Dan Brown's books, and it's mostly because of this character. A silent, intelligent man who solves international mysteries. What's not to love about that?!?

9) Barry Laverty (An Irish County Doctor) - a charming young man who is trying to figure out his way in the world and where he belongs. I may not be a doctor in a rural Irish village, but I can identify with so much of what Laverty experiences that it's hard not to fall in love with him.

10) Enzo (The Art of Racing In the Rain) - he may be a dog, but Enzo is one of the best characters that I have ever encountered in all my years of reading. Sweet, charming, caring, curious ... he's everything that you need in a dog, and so much more. As I was reading this story, I couldn't help but cry. It also made me wonder what our pets think of us and how they intuit things (pain, anger, sadness), and are there for us through those rough patches.

So, what's your list this week? Leave a comment and let me know! Can't wait to see what everyone comes up with!


3 comments:

  1. Its not eye rolling for Robert Langdon, its how he recalls something important out of thin air, and how he kisses the girl and runs. He did in The DaVinci Code anyway, I haven't read any of the others.

    Beth ^_^
    http://sweetbooksnstuff.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Hermione she is so awesome!

    http://kristina-worldofbooks.blogspot.com/2012/01/top-10-tuesdays-8.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I love Hermione Granger. She's so wonderful and smart and kind and courageous and the adjectives go on and on.

    AND YES SCOUT! LOVE HER TOO!

    ReplyDelete