Monday, January 16, 2012

Review: It's Classified by Nicolle Wallace

It's Classified
Author: Nicolle Wallace
Published: September 20, 2011
Genre: political fiction
Hardcover: 336 pages
Source: borrowed from the library


My Rating: 4 stars


Synopsis (from GoodReads): President Charlotte Kramer, the nation’s first female president, returns for her second term after re-election and Tara Meyers is now Vice President of the United States. For Tara, making the transition from the New York Attorney General’s office to working on the national level by President Kramer’s side creates issues that blur the line between personal and professional. After botching a live television interview that gets everyone in D.C. clamoring for her resignation, she attempts to redeem herself by wading headlong into a sensational terror investigation. Unfortunately, Tara’s leading role in the case puts her in the crosshairs of an edgy public with questions about the White House’s role in the plot—and what the administration did or didn’t do to keep the country clear from danger.


My Thoughts: I usually stay away from politcal or legal fiction/thrillers, mostly because there is enough craziness out there in the real-world of politics that I don't want to read about it as well. However, I read Eighteen Acres (my review) earlier this year and really liked it. Nicolle Wallace draws upon her experience as a White House communications director and politcal contributor for CBS News to craft a story of four women who are all working in the federal government at some level. There is President Charlotte Kramer, Vice President Tara Meyers, communications director for the VP Dale Smith, and Defense secretary Melanie Kingston. Each chapter is told from one of their points of view, so you are able to have a well-rounded opinion on how four women view one situation.


The plot was very interesting and I found myself wondering what would actually happen if this were to happen to our president or vice president (don't worry, no spoilers here). With each chapter being told from a different woman's perspective, you are able to not only understand the situation fully, but see how the president views a situation versus a communications staffer. Wallace knows what she writes about, which is evident as you read this book. Her understanding of how the White House complex is laid out is great, and at times I felt as if I knew where everything was, too (not really, but I had a pretty good idea). My only complaint for this book was that Melanie wasn't featured quite as much as she was in Eighteen Acres, but I'm hoping that Wallace continues with this series and Melanie will be a bit more prominent in her next book.


While I tend to stay away from series, this is one that I will continue to keep up with. And if you haven't read Eighteen Acres and want to read this one, it shouldn't be too difficult for you. Wallace is able to go over the major points of what happened in that book without dragging on (something that I really like!) If you are looking for a good political novel, then you should definitely add this to your TBR list.

No comments:

Post a Comment