Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme, created by The Broke and the Bookish. Each week, a different topic is posted, and you get to create your own top 10 list! It's fun and a great way to meet other bloggers. This week's topic is: 10 books in your beach bag.
1) Harry Potter - anytime that I go to the beach, I make sure that I take along a book from this series. It's a great way to truly get away from it all!
2) The Devil Wears Prada - I just finished this book (review up tomorrow), but it would be a great book to read at the beach. Not to heavy, but definitely entertaining and engaging to make you want to read.
3) Any Mary Higgins Clark book - I always enjoy her books, and they are substantial enough to entertain me, but I don't feel like I have to sit and read it all at once (that's how I feel with a lot of mysteries).
4) Fly Away Home (Jennifer Weiner) - this book has been in my TBR pile all winter, but I have been saving it for summer. It just seems like it is something to lose myself in.
5) Bossypants (Tina Fey) - I read this book (click for review) a few months ago and LOVED it! Nothing like being on vacation and laughing at the absurdities of the real world to make you feel like you really are away from it all!
6) Any Anita Shreve book - once again, something with enough substance to keep me entertained, but I feel okay walking away from it to enjoy the rest of my vacation.
7) French Lessons (Ellen Sussman) - I just finished this book a few weeks ago and the whole time that I was reading, I wish that I had saved it for later in summer (since I will probably be doing a staycation, I need books that will make me feel like I am far away from it all!), but it really made me feel like I was in Paris, experiencing the joys that the city offers.
8) InStyle - yes, I realize that this is a magazine, not a book! But I look forward to every new issue of this magazine, and what's a trip to the beach without a magazine?!?
9) Major Pettigrew's Last Stand (Helen Simonson) - this is another one in my TBR pile, and I really hope that I can get around to it for summer!
10) Gossip Girl - I haven't read these books in years, but they really are great books! Catty, backstabbing, gossip ... it has everything that you think of when thinking of silly beach books, and yet they are so well written that you don't care! That, and with NYC as a backdrop, you are able to imagine the lives the the uber-rich socialites of Park Avenue.
So, what are your beach reads? It's pretty easy to tell from my list that I want a little substance and a lot of entertainment ... what to do you like to read while away?