Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Top Ten Tuesday (3-22-11)


Top Ten Tuesday is hosted by The Broke and the Bookish. A topic is posted each Tuesday, and you create your own top ten list! It's pretty fun (and silly) ... so here we go!

This week's topic is: Top Ten Bookish Pet Peeves

1) Breaking the spine of the book. I don't know why, but it drives me crazy when people do this. It's like you are hurting the book! (Yes I'm crazy for thinking that books can feel things.) 
2) Vampires/werewolves - I will admit, I read Twilight, and another crazy confession, I enjoyed it! The reason that I liked the series was not because of the fantasy, but because of the relationships between the characters. I'm just over seeing so many books about vampires and whatnot. Time to move on!
3) Long chapters - it becomes too tedious to read a book when each chapter is 20+ pages. I like being able to have stopping points when I'm reading ... I just hate stopping in the middle of a chapter.
4) Wordy sentences - in some books, it's okay, but in others, I feel like the author is trying too hard.
5) A "wrapped up" ending - when a book is wrapped up with every character being happy/getting what they want, it's a bit too much. 
6) Not using quotation marks - it just makes it too difficult to read when I'm trying to figure out what is narration and what is dialogue.
7) Messy book users - have you ever gone into a bookstore and found that someone has gathered 30 books and left them in a pile somewhere? It's just rude. Either return it to the place you got it from, or get a book seller. It's what they are there for!
8) Reading only one genre/type of book - on so many blogs, I see people who only read YA or dystopian or mystery. You are missing out on so much by limiting yourself to one genre! Branch out and you may discover something wonderful!
9) Busy blogs - those blogs with lots of buttons and challenge postings and links and blinking images ... it hurts my eyes! 
10) Smelly books - have you ever checked a book out from the library and it smells like cigarettes/food/smelly feet? It really turns me off, and leaves me wondering, "What do you do to your books?!?"

What are your pet peeves?

3 comments:

  1. Hey, I'm with you on messy or busy blogs. It seems like some people only blog about books but don't actually read them. Ha! I'm beginning to wonder if the paranormal genre is coming to an end. New follower!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I hate smelly books as well. Especially those that smell like smoke. It really ruins the book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Smelly books is why I do not use the Library, I love new books and now even ebooks :-)

    Hope your enjoying the blogosphere.

    ReplyDelete