Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Top Ten Tuesday (4-16-13)


Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly feature hosted by The Broke and The Bookish. Each week, 
they post a different topic, and you get to create your own top ten list. So, this week's 
topic is:

Books I Thought I'd Like MORE Than I Did

1) The New Yorkers - I love NYC and love books that are set here because there is so much that can happen. But this book was awful. I kept on listening because so many people on GoodReads raved about it, but it never got any better. I wish I had listened to my gut and stopped listening to it!

2) Shoe Addicts Anonymous - another book that I listened to. For this one, I had just finished another Beth Harbison audiobook and really liked it, so I decided to try another one of her books. This was one of the strangest books that I've ever read and it was so awkward (and not in a funny way!)

3) The Unfinished Work of Elizabeth D. - I read this after hearing so many bloggers write rave reviews of this book, but it just didn't click for me. I was really disappointed that I didn't like it more.

4) Summer Breeze - I feel like I should like Nancy Thayer's work, but I just don't like her writing. This was the second book of hers that I read and I was so upset with myself by the end of it because it was just like the first book, but the characters names had changed.


5) 150 Pounds - I thought that I would really like this novel because it focuses on two bloggers living very different lifestyles. But it was too preachy for me and it felt like Kate Rockland was trying to push a message home.

6) Midnight in Austenland - I love Jane Austen. I love England. So this should be something that I would love, right? Wrong! I didn't like it one bit!

7) The Lantern - with everyone comparing this book to Rebecca, I hurried to get myself a copy. But this novel is nowhere like Rebecca and I was left feeling bitter and disappointed that I read a book that wasn't at all what I would like.

8) In Her Shoes - I enjoy Jennifer Weiner's work and figured that I should try out some of her earlier books, but I was so disappointed with this one. I'm glad that I didn't read this book first because I might not have read any of her others books!

9) Joy for Beginners - the premise of this book is great but the writing and follow-through were awful. It was also very formulaic, and I always hate that in novels.

10) Big Stone Gap - I had read a few Adriana Trigiani novels so far and people raved about this one, her first book. So, I checked out the audiobook from the library but had a hard time connecting to it. 


I'm always disappointed when a book doesn't live up the expectations that I had for it. So, what topic did you rewind to this week? Let me know!

4 comments:

  1. Great TTT this week. I haven't read a bunch of the books on your list (and I probably won't now? haha) but the topic makes me want to think on what books I would post on this list. Maybe a future TTT post for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't heard of these titles, but I'm sorry you were disappointed by them! It always stinks when you're anticipating a book and it's a let down.


    My TTT

    -Brad @ BookYAReview

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've actually got a bookshelf on Goodreads on this exact theme! It's always a bummer to be disappointed by a book that everyone else seems to love, or that you expected to be crazy over, but it happens. I haven't actually read any of these, but I'm certainly intrigued by your descriptions of a few of them!

    You can find my TTT, on the books that I always find myself recommending, over at bookwanderer!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I felt the EXACT SAME WAY about Elizabeth D!!! So disappointed!! :(

    ReplyDelete