Monday, April 8, 2013

Audiobook Review: Mini-Shopaholic by Sophie Kinsella

Mini Shopaholic
Author: Sophie Kinsella
Narrator: Rosalyn Landor
Published: September 2, 2010
Genre: chick lit
Audiobook: 11 discs (approx. 12.5 hours)
Source: borrowed from the library

My Rating: 2.5 stars

Synopsis (from GoodReads): Becky Brandon thought motherhood would be a breeze and that having a daughter was a dream come true: a shopping friend for life! But it’s trickier than she thought. Two-year-old Minnie has a quite different approach to shopping. Minnie creates havoc everywhere she goes, from Harrods to her own christening. Her favorite word is “Mine!” and she’s even trying to get into eBay! On top of everything else, Becky and Luke are still living with her parents (the deal on house #4 has fallen through), when suddenly there’s a huge financial crisis. 

With people having to “cut back,” Becky decides to throw a surprise party for Luke to cheer everyone up. But when costs start to spiral out of control, she must decide whether to accept help from an unexpected source—and therefore run the risk of hurting the person she loves. Will Becky be able to pull off the celebration of the year? Will she and Luke ever find a home of their own? Will Minnie ever learn to behave? And . . . most important . . . will Becky’s secret wishes ever come true?

My Thoughts: I was unsure if I wanted to read this last book in the Shopaholic series, since it seemed like each book just got a little worse than the one before. But, I didn't want to leave the series unfinished, so I went ahead and picked this one up from the library. I should have followed my instinct and left this one alone because this might be one of the worst books that I have ever read. The book is pretty much divided into two sections (which is unintentional by the author), with the first part mostly being about how awful Minnie, Becky's daughter, is and how her parents are unable to properly rear a child. The second part of the book, it's has if Minnie doesn't exist anymore and Becky throws a surprise party for Luke. It was very disjointed and odd because I really disliked the beginning of the book, but enjoyed hearing Becky plan this huge surprise bash for Luke. So, that's why it was given the rating that it was. I loved hearing about the party and all the planning that went into it. Having to read about Becky's inability to raise a child? Not as humorous and definitely dragged on for way too long.

I enjoy Kinsella's writing and it typically has me laughing, but I am glad that this series is finished. Becky Bloomwood started the series as a girl who wants to change her ways and is all about being a good person. By the end of the series, her materialism is rather sickening and it's awful how she actually never changes and continues to blow money as if there is no tomorrow. I don't know if I would recommend the Shopaholic series to anyone, but her standalone books are very good and will have you entertained.

1 comment:

  1. I agree, really liked the first two books but SK should have stopped there with this series. Far too silly with plotlines steched far too thin.

    ReplyDelete