Saturday, February 23, 2013

Audiobook Review: The Witness by Nora Roberts

The Witness
Author: Nora Roberts
Narrator:
Published: April 17, 2012
Genre: chick lit, thriller
Audiobook: 13 discs (approx. 15 hours)
Source: borrowed from the library

My Rating: 4 stars

Synopsis (from GoodReads): Daughter of a controlling mother, Elizabeth finally let loose one night, drinking at a nightclub and allowing a strange man's seductive Russian accent lure her to a house on Lake Shore Drive. The events that followed changed her life forever. 

Twelve years later, the woman known as Abigail Lowery lives on the outskirts of a small town in the Ozarks. A freelance programmer, she designs sophisticated security systems--and supplements her own security with a fierce dog and an assortment of firearms. She keeps to herself, saying little, revealing nothing. But Abigail's reserve only intrigues police chief Brooks Gleason. Her logical mind, her secretive nature, and her unromantic viewpoints leave him fascinated but frustrated. He suspects that Abigail needs protection from something--and that her elaborate defenses hide a story that must be revealed.


My Thoughts: I often find good audiobooks hard to find. Either the narration doesn't fit with the story, the plot is too confusing to be read aloud, or the book just isn't something that I would enjoy, even in print form. I often turn to the authors whose work I really enjoy in the form of audiobooks, because I know that it's difficult to let me down when I typically enjoy their writing. This is the case with Nora Roberts. Her books are engaging and quick reads, and her latest book is no different. In fact, this is the best Nora Roberts book that I've read/listened to. Combining the thrill of the Russian mafia with a woman determined to outrun her past, Roberts weaves an amazing story of bravery, heroic acts, and a little humor, along with some romance, to really make you love this story.

It's a great plot and one that kept me wondering if Elizabeth/Abigail would be able to live with the Russian mafia looking for her. I didn't know if she would be able to last living the way that she does. She meets a wonderful man, someone who changes her view on the world and the people in it. It takes time for the story to develop and progress, but Roberts uses that time to show you Abigail's life and her struggles with people. She shows you how Abigail is able to open up, slowly, and let others in. It's moving to see how Brooks changes her view on the world and how one person can really change your life.

If there was one thing that took away from the experience of listening to this book, it was the narration. At times, it became so stilted, especially with Abigail's dialogue, that I almost tuned out. I understand that Abigail is all logic and comes across as very cool, but that doesn't mean that she's a robot. Overall though, it was a great listening experience and it has me looking forward to my next Nora Roberts audiobook.

No comments:

Post a Comment