Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly feature hosted by The Broke and The Bookish. Each week,
they post a different topic, and you get to create your own top ten list. So, this week'stopic is:
Books That Make You Think (about the world, people, life, etc.)
1) To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee - one of the best pieces of literature ever written, it forces you to think, whether you want to or not.
2) Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand - this one just made me think about all those men and women who served in the US Armed Forces, specifically during World War II. The sacrifices that they made astound me and make me feel so grateful to be an American.
3) The Help by Kathryn Stockett - another book that forces you to think about equality and just how long it took for America to become an equal oppprtunity land.
4) Unbearable Lightness by Portia de Rossi - de Rossi's memoir chroncling her struggle with eating disorders. It's harrowing and difficult to read at times, but it definitely makes you think.
5) The Hour I First Believed by Wally Lamb - following a husband and wife who live in Littleton, Colorado, with the wife working at Columbine High School when the horrific shooting occurs. Lamb is such a gifted writer and really makes you think about humans and how we handle life's struggles.
6) A Stolen Life by Jaycee Dugard - Dugard recounts her time when she was held captive by her kidnapper. It's scary but makes you think about how someone could do all those things to a child and how flawed our law enforcement officers are.
7) Faith by Jennifer Haigh - focusing on a family dealing with the Catholic priest sex abuse scandal, Haigh tells the story of a family struggling to deal with this. It makes you think about how twisted some individuals are and how far a person can be pushed.
8) The Good Girl's Guide to Getting Lost by Rachel Friedman - Friedman's memoir of travel and self-discovery makes you think about how important it is to see the world and experience different cultures.
Well, that's all I could think of for this week! What books make you think? Let me know!